Work on behalf of clients as an attorney, investigator, social worker, or legal secretary. LDA is looking for applicants with the skills and training to perform at the highest level of advocacy. In all positions, LDA needs people with a demonstrated passion for defending the less fortunate.
Open positions are posted here. We also announce open positions on our Facebook page and on twitter @SLLegalDefender. For specific inquiries into current openings at LDA, please send an email to: email@example.com.
- Trial Attorneys
- Appellate Attorneys
- Social Services: Mitigation Coordinator
- Investigators & Investigative Aides
- Legal Assistants
Candidates must possess strong people skills, the ability to look beyond assumptions, and the willingness to reexamine facts. Tenacity and creativity are also important job skills. LDA offers competitive salaries and an excellent benefits package.
Candidates must be flexible and thrive in a fast-paced environment. LDA offers competitive salaries and an excellent benefits package.
Law Clerks & Internships
Appellate Law Clerks
LDA hires law students as law clerks on a fairly regular basis. Those law students with particular talents in research and writing and who have an interest in working for a public defender should submit a current resume, cover letter outlining your interest in working for LDA, and a legal writing sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
LDA also offers unpaid internships for law students.
Social Services-Mitigation Coordinator Position (Forensic Social Work)
Full time position with competitive salary and excellent benefit package, salary based upon qualifications. Provides a variety of social services to an indigent population charged with criminal offenses. Work as a member of the defense team, addressing mental illness, substance abuse, sex offenses, and mitigation in Capital Homicide cases.
• Communicates daily with attorneys regarding mental health referrals.
• Reviews individual’s extensive mental health history, records.
• Meets with clients in court or Salt Lake County Jail to interview, screen for competency, treatment services and possible sentencing alternatives, etc.
• Arranges for specialty forensic evaluations for client.
• Attends court proceedings on behalf of LDA clients.
• Prepares Motions and Orders, tracks Orders.
• Develops detailed written reports and sentencing plans for defense counsel, Judges, prosecutors and other personnel.
• Extensive mitigation interviews, research and records review in preparation for preparing mitigation in Capital Homicide cases.
• Collaborates with community providers in determining eligibility and arranging enrollment in services.
• Establishes and maintains working relationships with community mental health and corrections providers.
• Provides court proceeding information to providers.
Requires a minimum of a Master’s Degree in social work, social science, or mental health with two years of experience with mentally ill criminal justice populations. Cover letter, resume, and writing sample to email@example.com by April 12, 2019.
Substance Abuse Treatment Coordinator Position (Bachelor’s Degree +)
Full time position with competitive salary and excellent benefit package, salary based upon qualifications. Provides substance abuse treatment coordination to an indigent population charged with criminal offenses. Work as a member of the defense team and provide substance abuse mitigation in various levels of criminal cases. Requires a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in social work, social science, or mental health. Preferred licensed substance abuse counselor/substance abuse disorder counselor with two years of experience with criminal justice populations. Cover letter, resume, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 12, 2019.