Third District Court Pandemic Policy
The Third District Court just released a memorandum about the court’s pandemic policy. If you are represented by the Salt Lake Legal Defender Association, please call us at 801-532-5444 so that we can continue your court date.
To: Third District Court Judges
From: Mark S. Kouris, Presiding Judge and Laura S. Scott, Associate Presiding Judge
Date: February 13, 2020
Subject: Pandemic Court Policy
Pursuant to the Pandemic Policy of the Utah State Court System, the following Order will effective immediately:
During this trying time, please know the Court will remain open and available for all who need court assistance. However, in the interest of safety and to comport with the Governor’s order, we will be observing these procedures:
1. ALL jury trials are continued – including for in custody defendants – for at least three weeks. If you have a trial set before April 3, 2020, it will need to be rescheduled.
2. Absent an exigency, the next court dates for cases with out of custody defendants will be at least 45 days out (after May 1, 2020).
3. Debt Collection, Landlord/Tenant, Supplemental Hearing and Probate calendars are cancelled and will be rescheduled for a date after April 3, 2020.
4. All civil & domestic hearings and bench trials are canceled and will be rescheduled after April 3, 2020. Phone conferences will replace hearings when practicable.
5. Except for Protective Order Hearings, all commissioner hearings are canceled and will be rescheduled after April 3, 2020. Phone conferences will replace hearings when practicable.
6. All therapeutic courts are cancelled and will be reset after April 3, 2020.
7. The court and its staff will remain available to handle any exigent matters.
Thank you for your patience. We are doing our best in this unique situation.