NOW HIRING: MISDEMEANOR ATTORNEY & MITIGATION COORDINATOR.
The largest public defense firm in Utah is looking to hire members of the Utah bar in good standing who are self-directed, creative, client-centered, and passionate about defending our clients and the fundamental rights guaranteed by the constitution. We seek attorneys with a diversity of experience, perspectives, and personalities. Our staff includes members of the patent bar, former carpenters, park rangers, marines, librarians, and teachers. While trial experience is a plus, our office offers professional development opportunities, including mentoring, internal training, as well as continuing legal education that is amongst the most diverse and robust opportunities in the state. Misdemeanor attorneys can expect to learn advanced litigation skills while teaming with our experienced felony attorneys, who will mentor you through the process of litigating complex felony cases, including homicides. Applicants can expect to handle a demanding caseload and should be prepared to write and argue a variety of motions, interact with a diverse clientele, become familiar with substance abuse and mental health issues, and will have the opportunity to develop excellent trial skills. We offer competitive salaries and excellent benefits. Interested attorneys should submit a cover letter and resume to the attention of Rich Mauro at the email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
SOCIAL SERVICES-MITIGATION COORDINATOR POSITION (Forensic Social Work)
Full time position with competitive salary and excellent benefit package, salary based upon qualifications. Provides a variety of social services to an indigent population charged with criminal offenses. Work as a member of the defense team, addressing mental illness, substance abuse, sex offenses, and mitigation in Capital Homicide cases.
• Communicates daily with attorneys regarding mental health referrals.
• Reviews individual’s extensive mental health history, records.
• Meets with clients in court or Salt Lake County Jail to interview, screen for competency, treatment services and possible sentencing alternatives, etc..
• Arranges for specialty forensic evaluations for client.
• Attends court proceedings on behalf of LDA clients.
• Prepares Motions and Orders, tracks Orders.
• Develops detailed written reports and sentencing plans for defense counsel, Judges, prosecutors and other personnel.
• Extensive mitigation interviews, research and records review in preparation for preparing mitigation in Capital Homicide cases.
• Collaborates with community providers in determining eligibility and arranging enrollment in services.
• Establishes and maintains working relationships with community mental health and corrections providers.
• Provides court proceeding information to providers.
Requires a minimum of a Master’s Degree in social work, social science, or mental health with two years of experience with mentally ill criminal justice populations. Cover letter, resume, and writing sample to email@example.com by June 30, 2018.