Government & Community Resources and Assistance

We have compiled a list of government and non-profit agencies that provide resources that may be able to assist our clients. We try to keep the information updated. If you are a non-profit or government agency who would like to be added, please contact us.


2-1-1 is a free and confidential service provided by the United Way that helps people across the U.S. and in many parts of Canada find the local resources they need. They are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week

If you are looking for information about government agencies and non-profits that can help you with employment, housing, medical care, food assistance, mental health care, substance abuse treatment, education, training, assistance for individuals with disabilities, LGBTQ Support, Veteran benefits, or senior supportive services, we highly recommend that you start your search with the 2-1-1 pages. You can call 2-1-1, email them at or search their website:

Civil Law Assistance

The Utah State Court has put together a helpful list of free legal clinics, where volunteer attorneys can give you general and brief legal advice and assistance with forms. Click here to find a clinic near you.


Click here to learn more about SSDI & to apply for disability.

Click here to access a list of programs and resources for people with disabilities.

Disability Law Center
205 North 400 West, Salt Lake City, Utah 84103
(801) 363-1347
Service priorities include: accessibility, assistive technology, civil rights, housing, education and healthcare

Please be aware that if you have Medicaid Disability with State of Utah and apply for SSDI and are denied, you lose your Medicaid Disability.

What happens if I go to jail while receiving disability benefits? Do I lose my Disability benefits?
The Social Security Administration does not give benefits to an individual who is incarcerated even if they are disabled. If you are receiving benefits and become incarcerated, the SSA will take away your benefits once you have been in jail for more than one month. However, if you’ll be incarcerated for less than a month, the SSA will not take away your benefits and they will continue as normal

What do I need to tell Social Security?
You must tell the SSA if you have an outstanding arrest warrant for any of the following felony offenses:
• Flight to avoid prosecution or confinement;
• Escape from custody; and
• Flight-escape.
You can’t receive regular disability benefits, or any underpayments you may be due, for any month in which there is an outstanding arrest warrant for any of these felony offenses.

Tell Social Security right away if you’re convicted of a crime. Regular disability benefits, or any underpayments, that may be due aren’t paid for the months a person is 12 confined for a crime, but any family members who are eligible for benefits based on that person’s work may continue to receive benefits.

Monthly benefits, or any underpayments that may be due, are usually not paid to someone who commits a crime and is confined to an institution by court order and at public expense. This applies if the person has been found:

• Not guilty by reason of insanity or similar factors (such as mental disease, mental defect, or mental incompetence); or
• Incompetent to stand trial.

You must tell SSA if you’re violating a condition of your probation or parole imposed under federal or state law. You can’t receive regular disability benefits or any underpayment that may be due for any month in which you violate a condition of your probation or parole.

Food Assistance

Click to see if your child qualifies for Child Nutrition Programs.

Click here to see if you qualify for food stamps (SNAP).

Click here to find a food bank near you.

St. Vincent de Paul Soup Kitchen
437 West 200 South, Salt Lake City, Utah 84101
Offers meals at the following times:
Monday – Friday: Lunch – 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Dinner – 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Saturday: Brunch – 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m., Dinner – 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Sunday: Dinner – 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.

The Rescue Mission of Salt Lake
463 South 400 West, Salt Lake City, Utah 84101
Breakfast: Served Monday – Saturday: 6:15 a.m.
Lunch: Served 7 days a week: 12:15 p.m.
Dinner: Served 7 days a week: 8:00 p.m. (must be there at 7:00 p.m.)

Cathedral of the Madeleine – Good Samaritan Program
331 East South Temple, Salt Lake City, Utah 84111
Monday – Sunday: 9:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Open seven days a week, 365 days per year
Provides sack lunches and other resources

Eagle Ranch Chuck Wagon
500 South 600 West, Salt Lake City, Utah 84101
Sundays: 7:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
Serves prepared meals on Sundays

Calvary Baptist Church
Serves breakfast at Pioneer Park
Sundays: 8:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.

Utah Pride Center
225 East, 400 South, Suite 200,
Salt Lake City, Utah 84111
Saturday: 8:00 a.m.  – 10:00 p.m.
Utah Pride Center serves breakfast every Saturday for Homeless Youth (Ages 14-22)

Education (GED)

Here is a list of Adult Education Programs in Utah:

Directory of Utah Adult Education Programs 2017-2018

You can learn more about obtaining your GED by visiting the Utah State Board of Education (GED)

You can also contact the GED Team at (801) 538-7989.

Utah Department of Workforce Services
720 South 200 East, Salt Lake City, Utah 84111
Food stamps, unemployment insurance, job training, and job search assistance. Support services including food, financial, medical and child services. There is also an office located on the 2nd floor of The Weigand Center.

Utah State Office of Rehabilitation (Vocational Rehab)
866-454-8397 (State wide)
801-238-4560 (Salt Lake County)
50 West Broadway #800
Salt Lake City, Utah 84101
Statewide location here:
Offers vocational rehabilitation services for eligible individuals with disabilities to prepare for employment, including counseling, training and education, disability treatment and assistive technology, job placement, and other support services for work. To be eligible for VR, the individual must have a disability that causes difficulty in obtaining or maintaining a job and the individual requires VR training or services to obtain or maintain a job. To apply for VR, an individual must fill out an application and make an appointment to see a counselor at a local VR office.

People Helping People
205 North 400 West, Salt Lake City, Utah 84103
Employment program to eligible low-income women, including resume writing, interviewing skills and a job market.

Advantage Services, Inc.
513 West 800 South, Salt Lake City, Utah 84101
A non-profit that employs qualified individuals who suffer from mental illness or have been hindered by other life challenges.

LDS Employment Services
780 West 800 South, Salt Lake City, Utah 84104
Information and resources on job seeking and career development.

428 West 300 South, Salt Lake City, Utah 84101
Can help find part-time shifts at the Energy Solutions arena. Talk to the person at the front desk to get more information.

Heart Change Ministries
801-969-4101 (Ask for Program Director Sonya Usher)
3831 South 2700 West, West Valley City, Utah 84119
Heart Change Ministries provides Life & Job Skills transformation programs for participants committed to change. Services include the following: life and job skills training, apprentice training, GED preparation, court ordered community service, jail release resources, career guidance, food box/meals, and clothing.

Indian Training Education Center
1455 West 2200 South, Suite #200, West Valley City, Utah 84119
Provides job training and education funding to Alaskan Natives, Native Americans, and Native Hawaiians to enhance their socioeconomic potential. To qualify you must live off-reservation within the state of Utah, have low-income within WIOA income guidelines, and be unemployed or underemployed.

Job Corps
PO Box 160070
Clearfield, Utah 84016
For eligible young people ages 16 through 24 that qualify as low income, Job Corps provides the all-around skills needed to succeed in a career and in life. Comprehensive services available to prospective students who can qualify for housing, meals, basic medical care, and career counseling. Driver’s education also available to eligible participants.

Ability 1st Utah
491 North Freedom Boulevard, Provo, UT 84601
Ability 1st Utah provides services to individuals with disabilities including advocacy, independent living skills training, youth transition and nursing home/institution transition, peer support, information and referral services, community integration recreational activities, assistive technology equipment services, limited transportation and Ticket to Work program.

Columbus Community Center
3495 South West Temple, Salt Lake City, UT 84115
Provides an array of vocational, residential, and support services in which youth or adult participants with special needs and/or disabilities can experience a quality lifestyle in the community.

Homeless Resources

Click here to download the very helpful Salt Lake City Guide to Homeless Services.

You may also qualify for assistance from Utah Community Action Housing Case Management & Housing. Click on the link to learn more about their program.

You may also want to consult with the Road Home Client Engagement Team
210 South Rio Grande Street (located in the family lobby)
(385) 234-5782 or
The Client Engagement Team offers assistance to low-income and homeless individuals on a walk-in basis with obtaining documents, training, and supplies needed to transition back into the workforce, remain employed, qualify for housing, and continue to function in the community. The majority of their services are employment related with the intention of eliminating many obstacles in the job hunt process. You do not have to be a client of The Road Home in order to qualify. All services depend on availability of funds, and available to individuals once every 12 months. They can help assist you obtaining identification documents, Greyhound Transportation, and holding essential mail.

The Community Connection Center may be able to assist homeless individuals who need assistance obtaining identification or applying for medicaid.
511 West 200 South, Suite 100
Salt Lake City, Utah 84101

(801) 799-3533

Homeless Youth

If you are a homeless youth between the ages of 14 and 22, we encourage you to check the Volunteer of American’s Homeless Teen Services page for assistance.


Housing Authority of the County of Salt Lake
3595 South Main Street, Salt Lake City, Utah 84115
(801) 284-4400
Section 8, low income public housing, permanent supportive and transitional housing.

Housing Authority of Salt Lake City
1776 South, West Temple,
Salt Lake City, Utah 84115
(801) 487-2161
Provides rent subsidies and affordable housing to low income individuals and families.

West Valley City Housing Authority
4522 West 3500 South, West Valley City, 84120
(801) 963-3320
Monday – Thursday: 7:00am – 6:00pm
Administers all housing authority programs and oversees grant funding in West Valley City

428 West 300 South, Salt Lake City, Utah 84101
(801) 965-8628
Offers assistance with transitional housing, talk to the person at the front desk to be put on the waiting list.

Life Start Village
1760 West 4805 South, Taylorsville, Utah 84129
(801) 955-9110
Waiting list is generally several months,

Utah Non-Profit Housing Corporation
223 West 700 South, Suite C, Salt Lake City, Utah 84101
(801) 364-6117
Provides safe, affordable housing, focusing on very low income individuals and families.

Valor House
http://www.haslcutah.orgUtah Community Action Housing Case Management & Housing
718 East 700 South, Salt Lake City, Utah 84102
(801) 584-0700
Managed by the Department of Veterans Affairs. Transitional Housing for Veterans.

Utah Community Action Housing Case Management & Housing

Identification (lost or stolen)

If you are homeless and you have had your identification stolen and need assistance replacing it or getting your birth certificate, Emergency Services (which is located on the second floor of the Weigand Center) and Crossroads Urban Center may be able to help. The Weigand Center is located at 437 West 200 South, Salt Lake City, Utah 84101. Crossroads Urban Center is located at 347 South 400 East, Salt Lake City, Utah 84101.


Equality Utah has a great list of resources:

So does PFLAG of Utah:

Here are some resources for homeless LGBTQ youth in Utah:

  • Volunteers of America – Utah’s Homeless Youth Resource Center
    HYRC runs a 3-part program for homeless youth, and about 30% of the youth it serves report being LGBTQ. Programs include a drop-in center, a transitional living center and a street outreach program that focuses on reaching young male prostitutes.
    655 South State Street, Salt Lake City, UT 84111
    Phone: 801-364-0744
  • Utah Pride Center
    Tolerant Intelligent Network of Teens (TINT) is the Center’s youth activity center which provides a safe place for LGBTQ people ages 14-20.
    361 N. 300 W., 1st Floor, Salt Lake City, UT 84103
    Phone: 801-539-8800

Click here to learn about medicaid and apply if you qualify.

If you are homeless, the Community Connection Center may be able to help you apply for medicaid.

The Optum SLCo Member Handbook and Provider Directory provides helpful information for individuals on medicaid who are looking for resources in Salt Lake County.

Please note that if you have Medicaid Disability with State of Utah and you apply for SSDI and are denied, they lose their Medicaid Disability. If you qualify for SSDI then you will qualify for Medicaid Disability in Utah but not the other way around.

Mental Health

If you or a loved one is experiencing serious psychological distress (for example threatening suicide, experiencing a psychotic break) contact UNI’s Crisis Line: 801-587-3000 at once. Services are available 24/7 both locally and statewide. They may be able to assist you using their Mobile Crisis Outreach Team (MCOT), which triages through the CrisisLine and provides a free, prompt, face-to-face response to any resident of Salt Lake County who is experiencing a behavioral health crisis. Follow-up services provide ongoing support, including referrals to health care providers and to community-based mental health services.

You can also call UNI’s FREE COMMUNITY CRISIS RESPONSE PROGRAM at 801-587-3000 or visit them here: UNI has teamed up with Salt Lake County and OptumHealth SLCo to provide free crisis response and hospital diversion programs that aim to keep family, friends, and neighbors safe. They community crisis service programs are designed to provide community members with a full range of options to help solve the crisis in the best setting possible.

You can also call 911 or go to the nearest Emergency Room.


  • Salt Lake County Crisis Suicide Prevention
    (801) 587-3000
  • Utah Domestic Violence Hotline
    24/7 hotline for victims of domestic violence. Over 140 languages available.
  • UNI Crisis Line
    (801) 587-3000
    24/7 Crisis Line for Emergency Mental Health Related Issues. Ran by the University of Utah Neuropsychiatric Institute


Rape Recovery Center
2035 South, 1300 East, Salt Lake City, Utah 84105
(801) 467-7282; Crisis Line (801) 467-7273
For victims of sexual assault: advocacy, crisis intervention, therapy and community education.

The Fourth Street Clinic
409 West 400 South, Salt Lake City, Utah 84101
(801) 364-0058
Provides medical, mental health, substance abuse, dental and pharmacy services.

National Association on Mental Illness
1600 West 2200 South, Suite #202
West Valley City, UT 84119
(801) 323-9900
NAMI can help you find treatment throughout Utah.

Salt Lake County Behavioral Health
2001 South State Street S2-300
Salt Lake City, UT 84190-3050
385 468-4707
Click here to see information about Medicaid in Salt Lake County.

VOA Cornerstone Counseling Center
447 West Bearcat Drive, Salt Lake City, Utah 84115
(801) 355-2846
Provides counseling, therapy and support to families impacted by addiction to alcohol, drugs and involved in domestic violence issues.

Valley Behavioral Health – Administrative Offices
5965 South 900 East, Murray, Utah 84121
(801) 270-6550
Monday -Friday: 7:30am – 5:30pm
Mental health, substance abuse, and prevention services with residential and outpatient options available.

Valley Behavioral Health – Storefront/Safe Haven
550 West 700 South, Salt Lake City, Utah 84101
(801) 537-7537
Storefront is a drop in center for individuals with mental health issues. Laundry and Showers available. SafeHaven is supportive housing for individuals with mental health services. Case Management is provided upon intake into the program. There is currently a waiting list for beds in SaveHaven. Must sign up in person.

University Neuropsychiatric Institute (UNI)
501 Chipeta Way, Salt Lake City, UT 84108
(801) 583-2500

<em>The University Neuropsychiatric Institute, located in University of Utah Research Park in Salt Lake City, is a 120 bed mental health and substance abuse treatment institute for psychiatric treatment</em>.

  • Receiving Center
    The Receiving Center at UNI is a short-term (up to 23 hours) secure center providing: therapeutic crisis management, an assessment based on strengths and psychiatric needs, medication intervention, and wellness recovery/discharge planning. It is staffed by psychiatrists, advance practice nurses, social workers, certified peer specialists, and psychiatric technicians.
  • WarmLine: 801-587-1055. This line is for Salt Lake County residents who are not in crisis, but seeking support, engagement, or encouragement. Certified peer specialists offer support and empower callers to resolve problems by fostering a sense of hope, dignity, and self-respect. Callers may speak with peer specialists daily from 9 am to 10 pm.
  • Wellness Recovery Center
    Longer Stay Option. This center is an adult residential program for Salt Lake County residents experiencing an acute mental health issue. It provides a longer stay option for crisis triage and intervention, assessment services, medication intervention, and case management. It is staffed by a collaborative team of psychiatrists, advance practice nurses, physician assistants, social workers, certified peer specialists, and psychiatric technicians.
    The center follows a recovery/resiliency model built around the values of hope, choice empowerment, and wellness.
Substance Abuse

Assessment Referral Services (ARS) may be able to help you access county funding so that you can obtain substance abuse treatment.
(801) 587-2770
450 South 900 East, Suite 300, Salt Lake City, Utah 84102
Salt Lake County Substance Abuse contracts with ARS to authorize Salt Lake County-funded substance abuse treatment for individuals who do not have insurance or the financial means to access treatment. f you are interested in receiving substance abuse treatment or have been court referred but you cannot afford treatment, you can attend Interim Group Services, where we will begin the process of assessment and referral to the appropriate treatment.

First Step House Outpatient
2200 South State Street, Salt Lake City, Utah 84115
(801) 359-8862
High, medium, and low-intensity outpatient services for those with substance abuse issues.

First Step House Residential
411 North, Grant Street,
Salt Lake City, Utah 84116
(801) 359-8862
High, medium, and low-intensity residential services for those with substance abuse issues. Provides 27 beds to homeless individuals while they are in treatment.

The Fourth Street Clinic
409 West 400 South, Salt Lake City, Utah 84101
(801) 364-0058
Smoking Cessation Class: Mondays: 1:30pm – 2:30pm. Will provide nicotine replace therapies. Addiction Recovery.

House of Hope
857 East 200 South, Salt Lake City, Utah 84102
(801) 487-3276
Residential Treatment: 24/7 for women, pregnant women, and women with children. Residential day treatment, intensive outpatient
and outpatient treatment options available.

Odyssey House
344 East 100 South, Salt Lake City, Utah 84111
(801) 322-3222
Residential Treatment: 24/7, adult, single parent and teen programs. Residential and outpatient treatment options available.

Pathways Program
1098 West South Jordan Parkway, Suite 108, South Jordan, Utah 84095
(801) 895-3006
Phone Line Open for Crisis: 24/7, intensive outpatient treatment, family therapy, group therapy and parent-child therapy.

VOA Adult Detoxification Center
252 West Brooklyn Avenue (1025 South), Salt Lake City, Utah 84101
(801) 363-9400
Open 24/7, 68 bed facility where individuals can safely detoxify from drugs and/or alcohol.

Rescue Mission – New Life Program
463 South 400 West, Salt Lake City, Utah 84101
Phone: 801.355.1302; Women’s Center: 801.521.5925
A free, Bible-based year long treatment program. It is intended for the homeless and indigent who cannot afford a fee-based program, including men and women coming directly from jail and those on disability.


Workforce Services Refugee Services
Assistance with obtaining education, job training, employment searches and English language training.

Salt Lake County’s Refugee Services Programs
Offers a variety of programs, including community gardens and microbusiness creation.

Healthy Aging For Refugees
Contact: Ze Min Xiao (Zee), Director Salt Lake County Office for New Americans and Refugees
Provide the opportunity for refugee seniors to participate in an active and healthy lifestyle. By working with refugee communities, HARS provides bridge resources including transportation, citizenship classes, translation/interpretation for qualified seniors to participate in Salt Lake County senior centers.

Granite School District Refugee Services
Services include a donation sharehouse for refugees, volunteer childcare for parents to learn English, and a language academy.

Asian Association Refugee & Immigrant Center
Offers wide variety of programming, including ESL, life skills, counseling, employment services and other social services.
Online resource center created for programs serving torture survivors, individuals wishing to learn more about serving this population, and for survivors looking for information and services.

Because He First Loved Us
(801) 979-7707
7762 South Main Street (700 West), Midvale, Utah 84047
Relational ministry to refugee families to meet spiritual, educational and, practical needs through child and family mentoring and resource networking.

Catholic Community Services (CCS)
745 East 300 South, Salt Lake City, Utah 84102
(801) 977-9119
Refugee resettlement and refugee foster care.

English Skills Learning Center (ESLC)
4444 South 700 East, Suite 100, Salt Lake City, UT 84107
(801) 328-5608
Offers free English classes.

International Rescue Committee (IRC)
221 South 400 West, Salt Lake City, Utah 84101
(801) 328-1091
Refugee resettlement program.


The HEAT program provides winter home heating assistance and year round energy crisis assistance for eligible low income households throughout Utah. To apply for HEAT Assistance, visit this website:

Assist Utah is an organization that serves low income house holds and people with disabilities and they may be able to help you with emergency housing repairs accessibility design assistance.


Hero 2 Hired
Chuck Rackham: (801) 432-4242
Helps veterans find employment.

Homeless Veterans Fellowship
541 East 23rd Street, Ogden, Utah 84401
(801) 392-7662
Provides transitional housing and support services to homeless and threatened veterans in Utah in order to transition them to self sufficiency.


Veteran Services – Utah Department of Veterans and Military Affairs
550 Foothill Drive, Suite 202, Salt Lake City, Utah 84113
(801) 326-2372
Provides numerous services to veterans including: Healthcare, education, employment, and burial benefits. Programs Include: Grant and per diem program, HJCR program and supportive services for veteran families program.

Utah Veteran’s Legal Clinic
500 South, Foothill Drive, Building 8, Salt Lake City, Utah 84108
(801) 872-8382
Every 2nd Thursday of the Month: 5:30pm – 7:30pm
VA Legal Clinic is held in the multi-purpose room, in building 8 at the VA Hospital.

Wounded Warriors
3266 North 1325 West, Ogden, Utah 84414
(801) 731-4717
For those who have been injured during their service in the armed forces.

Veterans Affairs – Outreach
Ryan Bennion: (801) 450-7839
Cory Pearson: (801) 582-1565 ext. 2746
Call for assistance in finding services that are available for veterans.

Veterans Housing – Road Home
210 South Rio Grande Street, Salt Lake City, Utah 84101
(801) 819-7380
If you are a veteran and you are currently homeless, they will help you find housing. Need VA Medical Card or DD214 form, they will help you get it if you don’t currently have one. Can also help if you are at risk of becoming homeless, but are not currently.

Veterans Recovery Support Group