Frequently Asked Questions

How Do I Find My Court Date?

To find your court date, select the link for the court in which your case is being heard and then use your browser’s search or find function and enter your last name.

Salt Lake 

West Jordan 

SLC Justice

Salt Lake County Justice

Can I Vote?

I have a misdemeanor or felony conviction. Can I vote?


I am on probation or parole. Can I vote?


In Utah, you cannot vote if you are incarcerated in a jail or prison. You can vote if you have a misdemeanor or felony conviction or if you are on probation or parole.

Register to vote by clicking this link!

See Utah Code Ann. 20A-2-101.3. Convicted misdemeanants — Restoration of right to vote or hold office.
(1) As used in this section, “misdemeanant” means a person convicted of a misdemeanor for an offense under this title.
(2) A misdemeanant’s right to register to vote and to vote in an election is restored when the misdemeanant:
(a) is sentenced to probation, or
(b) has successfully completed the term of incarceration to which the misdemeanant was sentenced.

See Utah Code Ann. 20A-2-101.5. Convicted felons — Restoration of right to vote and right to hold office.
(1) As used in this section, “convicted felon” means a person convicted of a felony in any state or federal court of the United States.
(2) Each convicted felon’s right to register to vote and to vote in an election is restored when:
(a) the felon is sentenced to probation;
(b) the felon is granted parole; or
(c) the felon has successfully completed the term of incarceration to which the felon was sentenced.

How Do I Get a Public Defender?

If you have been charged in Salt Lake County with a misdemeanor or a felony and you are unable to afford an attorney, you can ask the judge to appoint you a public defender. The court will give you an Affidavit Requesting Appointment of Legal Defender. The form will ask you about your finances. You will need to provide the judge with information such as your marital status, whether you have dependents, where you are employed, if you have savings and debts, and provide a description of property you own. You will also be required to swear that the contents of your application are true.

If the court determines that you qualify for a public defender, it will appoint our office to represent you and give you a new court date. You will also be given contact information for our office.

Unfortunately, we cannot assist you unless you have been appointed to our office by the Salt Lake City Justice Court, the Salt Lake County Justice Court, or the Third District Courts in West Jordan or Salt Lake.

How Do I Meet My Attorney?

How can I arrange to meet with my attorney?

Many of our attorneys have office hours where they are available to answer questions. You can call your attorney’s legal assistant at 801-532-5444 and find out when their office hours are or you can set an appointment. If you are in custody and would like a visit, you can call or write us and request a visit from your attorney.

What Should I Wear to Court?

Please dress conservatively (something you would wear to church, work, a job interview or a nice social function) when you come to court. The courthouse has a dress code. Court bailiffs may ask you to leave the courtroom if you are wearing shorts, tank tops, a hat, or sunglasses. Our office can provide clients with appropriate clothing for jury trials.

Do I Have a Warrant?

he Utah Department of Public Safety offers a statewide warrant search.

Click here to see if you have a warrant in Utah